Monday, January 22, 2007

First Request for an Individual Reading















P.W. has asked if I could respond to an individual's question, draw cards in response to the question, and then talk about it on the blog. Yes!

P.W. wonders about two possible courses of action in his life. Would he be happier putting his creative energy toward making graphics and cards for his wife's and his retail shop, or toward pursuing his fine art avocation. Since that is more than one question, I have reworded his quest and will ask each question separately. What is the nature of making graphics and cards for the shop for P's physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being?
These cards were drawn: Child's Play, healing, Visionary, and Robot.

The second question is: What is the nature of making fine arts for P's physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being? These cards were drawn: Community, Intuition, Sabateur, and Growth. All cards are showing above, but I haven't got the handle yet on getting them in the right order. Learning curve.

Quest 1. On a physical level, you experience freedom and joy expressing yourself. Like a child in a magical world, you give free reign to your ideas, intuition, and impulses and the shop offers a guaranteed place for the fruits of your labors. On a mental level, this kind of acceptance and working closely with a loved one is very healing and nourishing, and offers your mind a daily challenge. Emotionally, your visionary abilities are sharply honed as you plan for the future and imagine what products, "look" and materials to develop. Finally, on the spiritual level, there might be a tendency for you to eventually become bored with mass-producing products once the luster of first insights fades.

Quest 2. On a physical level, fine arts has a wonderful community of artists for support if one needs it. Galleries, classes, the internet all provide places in which to find community, which feeds the soul. On a mental level, your intuition is utilized and sparks your daily enthusiasm to create into form new ideas, develop new skills, challenge your mental skills as a problem solver. But lurking around the corner is the Sabateur, reminding you that putting all your eggs in the fine arts basket can play havoc with self-esteem. It can be emotionally devastating to put your ideas into form and perhaps have expectations dashed. This card only says that there is a caution about your emotional reasons for doing your fine art, to be clear and honest with yourself about what you hope to gain. On a spiritual level, you will experience much growth by working in your fine arts media. Looks to me, P.W., that you have wonderful options that are rewarding all around. Why not do both and double your fulfillment?

The next blog entry will be for the week of Sunday, January 28. Each week I will ask the general question: What is the nature of this coming week? then draw a card for each major level in which we express our being, namely the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. In addition to that, if there are any queries at that time, we can experiment with doing blog readings. Thank you all for your interest so far; it is very encouraging.

8 comments:

Philip Williamson said...

I'm the one who asked about individual readings. I thought I was going to concentrate on 'Fine Art' (paintings and sculpture), but I'm enjoying making graphics and cards for my shop.

I wonder which would make me happier in the long run? Both seem fulfilling and possibly semi-lucrative. The advantage of making things for the shop is that we can sell them, and Angelina and I would be working to the same goals.
The big thing about making fine art is that I'm pretty good at it, and I like it. Painting more, or making more sculptures would make me better at it, and what I make is more durable, less ephemeral, than what I could do for the shop.

How would you go about helping me?

Angelina said...

I'm interested in hearing the results for this one too!

Philip Williamson said...

So the four cards relate to "physical, mental, emotional, spiritual" in that order?

I see "saboteur" as something that lurks in my art, an urge to push people's buttons or refuse the rules of their game.
I guess if it refers to 'emotion', it's possible that I can lose my focus on what I know is the right art for me, and try to make the kinds of things the people around me expect or approve of.
Almost the exact opposite of the urge to sabotage others' expectations, I sometimes sabotage myself by trying to live up to them. Hmmm... Two sided coin.

It looks like it comes down to the difference between 'growth' and 'robot'. I like robots, though!
Also, it seems the cards say the Fine Art way will physically ally me with more people, where the shop way is more solo loner work.
Huh.
I'll think more on this.
Thanks!

Soul Mama says . . . said...

Saboteur in this reading referred to the emotional level, which has more to do with your feelings about your art, and that is why I cautioned about looking closely at subconscious reasons and expectations, which might sabotage your conscious reasons. Robot in this case was referring to repetitious application of your craft, which might eventually become too boring or insular for someone with your strong intellectual bent. I drew 3 more cards to look deeper into Satoteur. I got Victim, Harvest, and Demon. Again, I would look to thoughts and feelings around marketing and selling fine art. The cards indicate some dark, perhaps unconscious, energies needing exploration. It is fun to do art, but to make a living, it is a very competitive world. However, despite brooding subconscious pesky thoughts, Harvest indicates a reward in there for you if you slog through the mire and persist with determination and positivity, while not ignoring the potential negatives. These are cautions which are best heeded. They are not meant to deter.

Angelina said...

I think this is a pretty insightful reading. I mean the whole saboteur thing seems pretty right-on concerning Philip's expectations around his fine art and its place in the fine art world.

I've got to get someone else to ask you a question. I don't have one right at this moment, but as soon as I do I will make my request to you.

Angelina said...

I think this is a pretty insightful reading. I mean the whole saboteur thing seems pretty right-on concerning Philip's expectations around his fine art and its place in the fine art world.

I've got to get someone else to ask you a question. I don't have one right at this moment, but as soon as I do I will make my request to you.

Philip Williamson said...

Thanks, Lorena!

I'll sit down and write down what I think/expect about selling art. I believe it is a pretty sticky morass for me.

Unknown said...

i'm thinking, create your fine art masterpieces, then reproduce them onto cards for the shop. i don't know if your art is 1-dimensional (painting) or 3-dimensional (sculpture), however, even sculpture can be photographed and made into a graphic. i'm also thinking that your fine art endeavors can ramp up/ inspire your graphics creative juices to make your cards more unique, while the mass-market aspect of graphics could help you scale your creative/ fine arts instincts to appeal to a wider audience (in other words, "saleable"). win/ win. you always have the completely free creative side of you that does not edit your art for a market, that creates art for art's sake, and your wider market arts and graphics can do a nice job calling attention to your true works of art.